Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can anyone give me some advice on when is the best time to apply for a new job?

I am currently employed but have applied to leave my job. I will be finished in May and want to move straight into another job but am not sure how far in advance to apply for a new job? Is January too early?Can anyone give me some advice on when is the best time to apply for a new job?
Actually the best time to look for a new job is while you are in employment.





Do you have to finish in May?





If you were lucky enough to find a job you liked could you give a month's notice (or less) ?. If so start looking straight away.





There are so many unemployed people at the moment that it may not be easy to find alternative employment.





Start straight away..Can anyone give me some advice on when is the best time to apply for a new job?
Before I ever put in my two weeks notice then I have already been hired on a new job. Two weeks notice is the general rule for both the employer and the employee. You may have jumped the gun a little like I have also done in the past but I have found out that the best way to get hired on a new job is to be working and be in good standing with the employer I presently have. And remember to never burn your bridges.
I would start talking to employment agencies in January with a view to making applications and trying to get interviews around March.





on second thoughts, speak to agencies now. if they say you need some commercial training before you leave the forces, perhaps the forces will help you obtain it. depends what sort of job you are looking for.





also, think ';objectives';


the only objective of a CV is to get called for interview


the only objective of an interview is to get a written job offer





(are you going to be a reservist? some employers are not keen because you have to have certain time off.)
So you've handed your notice in already but aren't leaving til next May?? Unless you have to give an extremely long notice period, then most people don't hand in their notice until 1 month before they leave. And you don't 'apply' to leave (as they can't say 'no you aren't leaving!')





Wow.





As for applying for a new job, well it depends somewhat the kind of work you're looking for, and also when the new employer might be ready for you to start. I'd say sure start looking in January, but bare in mind they may want you to start in February which will be too soon for you. Some companies may not want you to start til summer. It depends on them.





I'd go for March time myself.
I don't think January is too early, but some employers might. But if you start in January, you'll get a good sense of whether your resume is working (are you getting interviews?), what you need to change, etc.





At this point, if I were you, I'd work with a career counselor who can help you with your resume and who can also help you figure out what the civilian equivalent is of your millitary career. You can also take this time - if you haven't already - to start making contacts with people (networking) and figuring out which civilian careers that you want to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment