Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Interracial couples. Have this ever been an issue? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?

Not necessary to be an interracial couple. I guess about couple from total different background.





You eat different food. You dress different. You have different values etc..





For example, you always eat some curry chicken and rice for dinner, but your BF would not eat it. He loves to eat Pizzas. Would you feel weird? lol :)





Have this ever been an issue to you?Interracial couples. Have this ever been an issue? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
Not at all, since I am not a follower, I tend to like new things or different things that not necessarily considered mainstream. I am in an interracial relationship and I find it cute when both of our differences are considered. It also puts a new perspective on things when our cultures collide. I love it, it's like a breath of fresh air and our kids can enjoy both sides of their culture.





Our values are the same and we eat the same food pretty much. As far as dress, of course I am girlie and he wears his basic guy stuff.Interracial couples. Have this ever been an issue? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
I am part of an inter racial marriage. We are both 31. We have been together since 17, married at 22. We have two children 2 and 6 years old. We both have master degrees, own a home and we both work for the state.





But we are worlds apart. He is from Peru. Came to America when he was 8 and lived in a close knit hispanic community. I was born in Poland and moved to America when I was 4 years old. Lived in a close knit polish american community.





There are days we eat my tuype of food, there are days when we eat his type of food. There are more days that we eat American Food. WE have them in polish culture school and he teached them spanish. We are not super into our culture, so we always get along.





We do dress different because he is a guy and I'm a girl LOL! Our values are the same. We are the same inside. HIs family values are the same as mine. That is what is important.





Has it ever been an issue to us ??? NO! we respect each other and our culture. We give up a little and learn from each other. We are dedicated to our new culture (mixed with American Children) and move on with our lives. It does take time though. The IMPORTANT WORD IS RESPECT! If you have that there should be no issues!





Good Luck
My wife is mexican, and I'm white, and I didn't like mexican food before she cooked for me, now I love it. As a couple you need to share each others culture with each other. If other people have a problem with the interracial aspect of the relationship, who cares? It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you love each other.
Well i am white and my boyfriend is mexican. It isn't a big deal unless you make it into one. I honestly hate mexican food which is pretty ironic but when his mom makes it or his family has me for dinner and want to eat it i just deal with it. I'm not one to be rude or selfish and refuse just because of my preferences. It's a mutual agreement with him...he hates milk and not a big fan of some of my family's favorites but he will have them so as not to be rude. If you truely love the other it shouldn't matter what kind of food or material items you use you should be willing to pick your battles and bend when you are willing to let things slide.
I think if your basic values are the same and you want basically the same things out of life then the differences keep it interesting.
If you look at my avatar you'll notice that I have Apache blood in me. My girlfriend (soon to be fiancee) is Jamaican-Italian. When our relationship first started we were blissfully content with being together and didn't take notice of our cultural differences. Now that we've been dating a few years we are both aware of them so we compromise to accommodate them.





Example: Her mother cooks things like Ginger Tamarind Chicken and Mannish Water soup with Sweet Potato Pone for dessert and Beatroot Drink to wash it all down. Before meeting my girlfriend I had never had anything like it. Sometimes I liked the food but whenever I didn't care for it, Kim or her mother would never ask me to eat it or starve for the sake of custom. Her mother is always courteous enough to prepare spaghetti, or mashed potatoes and a salad just in case. It's the same way for other things. Her grandparents believe in one God, mine believe in many.





Kim and I love each other and we don't even pretend to have come from the same type of background. When you see my father with long straight black hair and tanned skin, he looks nothing like her mother with dark skin and long wavy hair. I would never stop caring for her because we do things like food and dress differently. I love her too much!!!





Besides... I'm interested to see what our Apache/Caucasian/Jamaican/Italian wedding will be like!! :)
At the beginning, it sounds like fun because the other person is so different. It's like learning all about another culture. As the relationship progresses, it will get boring and then it will get hateful. You will yearn for someone to jooin you for curry chicken, someone that will share your values and dreams. Think about it. It's your future happiness.
That would drive me crazy! You need to get him to try your food (I'm sure you share a pizza with him occasionally) Tell him how important it is to you--as your significant other he should value the things that are important to you. Try working him up to curry dishes, like something less pungent and then maybe you can gradually change his palate.
Yes, I cook everyday....what on earth do I cook when all i like to eat is Chile and rice, beans....My husband is Italian...he like home cooked food.....i mean from scratch.....It took some getting use too. But get this....my husband eats Chile now...never did before..LOL
'birds of a feather flock together' , to a large extent this is very true and theres absolutely nothing wrong about it either.





however, as replexgirl put it , ' I think if your basic values are the same and you want basically the same things out of life then the differences keep it interesting. '





that hit the nail on the head, pretty much summarised a potential essay I was planning to unleash on all of your peanut brains heh.





seeing as this IS - MY answer, i shall make the best use of this space for it , so i'll touch on a few other things too regarding interracial relationships.





I've always maintained the belief that ignorance,seflishness, insincerity, spitefulness and arrogance are traits you will find in people from ALL walks of life, regardless of colour, creed,socio-economic b/g, religion, race etc etc.





These traits or bad qualities are inhibited within man and woman from all corners of the globe and more importantly - the reverse is also true. You will find as reflexgirl put it, similarities and basic things in life you and another person want - if the physical attraction is there then whats stopping you from pursuing a relationship with that person ?





I don't want to stigmatise ANY type of person in ANY type of relationship however genuine it is or if its based on false pretences and show, thats not my business at the end of the day. If a white girl wants to date a black guy for 'sexual reasons' and the relationship is heavily 'sexual orientated' , thats none of any one elses business right ?





I've noticed though, in this day and age, there is still a large contingent of people who dissaprove or dislike interracial relationships, once again that is THEIR business and their preference - and you cannot enforce your beliefs on others no matter what.





As long as nobody is getting hurt, let it be. Thats my moto.


If youre dating somebody outside your own ethnicity because of having a serious run of bad luck meeting somebody to hit it off with in your own race, thats fine too. If you're dating outside your race to broaden your horizons and learn more about that person as well as yourself, thats also fine.





If youre in an interracial relationship for egocentric reasons, i.e youre dating somebody outside your race to make a statement, and/or for personal gain - then one may question the sincerity of that relationship.





Final words, and this is what i think :





theres no such thing as 'interracial relationships' in the human existence. Only RELATIONSHIPS. :-)





all the best folks.
Usually in order to be a couple you will have a bit in common, for example values. My husband is African, he introduced me to African food. I like some not all. He doesnt like everything I like either. It is always exciting to learn new things about his experiences back home. His family sent me traditional African dress and I have partaken in a traditional baby naming ceremony. The only problems we have ever had are just normal things everyone goes through. Nothing related to our different races.
I'm a white country girl who grew up eating mashed potatoes and hamburgers. I dated a Japanese American, from Maui for three years who ate rice every day with his meals. It took me a year to finally eat fish, sushi, and teriyaki. I now know how childish I was for taking so long, and I discovered how much I was missing. If the person is worth it then you'll try something at least once for that person.
Not necessarily racial, but cultural for sure. I'm a white bread American and my husband is Hispanic (El Salvador). I wouldn't call them arguments, but trying to figure out what to eat for dinner every night is a nightmare. There are literally only a handful of food that we both like. I'm a potatoes kind of girl, he loves his rice. I love green veggies, he lives on beans. He loves spicy, I love bland. This is our conversations every night.





Me: ';What do you want to do for dinner?';





Him: ';I dunno, what do you want to do for dinner?';





Me: ';I want to put a gun in my mouth so we never have to have this conversation again.';





Then we laugh, and the ';What do you want to do for dinner?'; conversation starts up again. Every night, it's complete agony.





Mostly though, we eat ';every man for himself'; style. He makes what he wants, I make whatever I want.





What are you gonna do, hate someone cause they don't like grits? It's tempting, lord know you shouldn't trust someone who doesn't like grits. But, what can I do, I love him:)
check out interracialdatingromance.blogspot.com
If thats the most serious issue then your concerned for no reason. Meet in the middle and you'll be fine.
no it dosent have to be a race thing my husband is black and so am i he is west indian i am southern i dont like some haitain cuisine but i like others he dosent like grits a southern food i cant understand this but i love the cutural diffrence embrace it thas what makes mixed couples so special
I don't believe in Interracial couples.They both have their cultural backgrounds %26amp; should not mix them !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment