Wednesday, November 23, 2011

To beading experts.I need advice for the best step by step beading book. I am just beginning.?

I do not know what kind of thread and needles to buy. I have trouble getting the thread through the eye of the needle.To beading experts.I need advice for the best step by step beading book. I am just beginning.?
I would suggest checking out your local library's crafting section and seeing if there are any books on the subject that appeal to you. Most books will cover the basics, give you a list of tools you will need and provide you with plenty of patterns to get started. It's easier to pick something that appeals to you visually than it is to follow suggestions sometimes.





Also, I'd recommend getting a magnifying apparatus, something like these:


http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID鈥?/a>


http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID鈥?/a>


http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID鈥?/a>To beading experts.I need advice for the best step by step beading book. I am just beginning.?
If you're still intending to do earrings in 20th-century American Indian styles, Joann's doesn't have the books. Check out Firemountain or similar.





Get thread and needles from a source specialing in ';counted'; beadwork. You *will* need an assortment of threads and needles. The long needles available in most general craft stores are too coarse for fine beads.





The thread should at least half-fill the bead's hole when stitching is complete. The beads won't hang right if the thread's too thin. It's impossible if the thread's too thick.





Extra-long needles make matching lengths and patterns on dangles easiers. They aren't just for loom work. Sort needles are handier for the solidly worked areas of peyote-stitch and similar. #12 quilting needles are suitable for this and easier to find than the long beading needles.





Recommended product: ThreadHeaven for preventing tangling and for ease in threading. Lacking that, plain bee's wax is a threading aid. I do not recommend spit. The acid content may discolor some beads, aside from being icky.





If you can't see what you're doing, get some magnification. I use 3.5x glasses for petit point embroidery and for ultra-fine beadwork. They're $1 at what I call dollar-ish places.





If fresh-cut thread won't go through the needle's eye, either the thread or the needle is the wrong size. Remember, there are reasons for having an assortment of threads and needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment